I don’t actually know how should I write this Part 1, I recommended you read first System Center 2012 Configuration Manager R2 – Disaster Recovery for Entire Hierarchy and Standalone Primary Site recovery scenarios
There are almost everything you need, yes I said almost. 🙂
I marked down only few steps what I remembered, not step by step installation
- Install Windows Server
- Install Security updates to your sever
- If you are doing an automatic recovery, you should use same sever name, and exactly same partitions as your old SCCM server.
- Put NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS file to those partitions to root folder of any drive that you want to prevent Configuration Manager from installing files on
- Install Prerequisites that are related to install SCCM, example Windows roles and Feature. You can use powershell to do that.
PowerShell1Add-WindowsFeature Web-Windows-Auth,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Metabase,Web-WMI,BITS,RDC,NET-Framework-Features,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Asp-Net45,NET-HTTP-Activation,NET-Non-HTTP-Activ,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-App-Dev,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Net-Ext45,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Health,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Log-Libraries,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-HTTP-Tracing,Web-Security,Web-Filtering,Web-Performance,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Scripting-Tools,Web-Mgmt-Compat –Restart -Source :\sources\sxs
- Install SQL, cumulative updates.
If you still have the SQL Configuration file saved in some place, you can just use it. (I will write another post about it later and link it here. )
- Make more tempDB files.
- Install ADK, if you use SCCM to deploy OS
- Install MDT, if you use SCCM to deploy OS
- Install WSUS, if you use the primary server to sync Windows Updates.
Matter of fact, you just need to install everything same as the first time when you setup your SCCM server, so I really hope you have wrotten an documention of that.
Why do I mention 4 and 5 ? I am sure you already knew these basics things, but I have met people whom forgot these basic steps when they did SCCM recovery, perhaps people were in a hurry to recovery their SCCM, time is running out, isn’t it?! Well guess what happened when you didn’t do the basic things, will SCCM works after recovery? Of course NOT!
So, take a deep breath, calm down, clear your mind, go for a run, go Sauna..relax.. Then you start do the SCCM recovery.